Monday, May 4, 2009

Why am I going to College?

If there is one thing that my previous experience in education and schooling has taught me its that I will quickly grow frustrated, bored and even depressed with a subject if it is forced down my throat or if I really dont want to learn it. This has manifested itself over as many years as I can remember throughout a myriad of subjects. I learn best when left alone with something that I care about or can reasonably manage.

I promised myself (and my parents) that I'd go to college and get a degree.
The catch? I will only go if I can learn what I really want to and only if I have some control and say over what I study. (Since I'm such a submissive-softy where my parents are concerned, they often exercise more control of what I do, than I do.)

If I am presented with the unpleasant situation where I must do something, like it or not, then in order for me to do that necessary thing, I mean, really do it, then I have to know and understand that there is a point to it.

If I cant see the point, or dont agree with the point, then I will resent that task/subject/process every single second that I'm doing and when the ordeal is over and done with, then I will then do my very best to avoid it as much as possible for the rest of my life. (Case in point: Accounting.)

It is very easy for me to lose interest in a thing, and until my interest is renewed in that area, I cant stand to be near it or have anything to do with it. I also hate to not finish what I started.

So from Day One of planning my college experience I knew that I'd have to be able to get in and out as quickly as possible with as much education and knowledge as possible. I couldn't see myself getting just one degree in 2 years. That seemed like such a waste of time, too frustrating.

Especially since I want to learn so many different things. It just wasn't cohesive with my "Life Plan"

I figured I'd go to College for two years straight and get out with as much as possible.

Even though I start in Summer taking 3 classes, I'm not counting this time. As it is a "trial" period. They recommend that you take 2 classes during the summer since the sessions are "express" but I'm determined to take no less than 3. I had wanted to take a 4th class but couldn't afford to.

So, excluding this first Summer Session, I'll be doing my best to divide approx. 66 classes and 194 credit/units into 2-2.5 years worth of school.

Now, my school has two fifteen week semesters (Fall and Spring). It also has 3 shorter sessions during the summer, and it offers 3 distance learning programs; Tele-courses, Several classes are offered in the SPI (Self-Paced Instruction) format and of course, there are web-based classes.

If I play my cards right, utilizing all my resources and with careful time management then I should be able to divide my 60+ classes into 4 and 2 summer sessions and graduate with 2 degrees, 3 Work Skill Certificates and maybe even snag that Vocational certification that I've been wanting.

Fall 09, Spring 10, Summer 10, Fall 10, Spring 11, Summer 11.

Fortunately there is a couple of classes that I can take once and not to take again, even though the degree/certificate calls for it. I'm still working out the particulars. But only about 3 class.

Unlike some people, my interests dont cross so I'm going to have to take the 95+% of the classes for all the things that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment