Sunday, May 31, 2009

Final Phase of Web Design Services

Okay so I did it. With the exception of 2 or 3 very minor edits, I have completed my Final Exam project and, in essence, my Web Design program. It took me a 2 days longer than I'd anticipated (more like 1.5) but I'm happy and satisfied with what I've done, but I think I am beginning to care about that 'piece of paper' known as a completion certificate a little more than I initially thought. It would've still been nice to finish on Thursday or sooner, as I'd planned but it just wasn't written for me to pull it off exactly as I planned and I know that in truth the only one to blame is me.

I did ALOT of slacking off from mid- March to late April. Its a miracle that I finished at all and to tell you the truth readers, I didn't commit myself to PHP the way I did the other standards and technologies. I read the pages and did all the steps but I decided the completion was a lot more important than just that one thing so I'm willing to admit that I sacrificed an 'A' in comprehension for the chance to finish on schedule. If I had to grade my comprehension of PHP then I'd give myself a 'C'. I dont think I will ever do that again. From now on, if I dont commit myself to the task 100% I will not cut corners on my education, I will simply suffer the bitter consequence but I am not really happy with the fact that I wound up trading quantity for quality.

Anyway I spent part of Friday, all of Saturday and the morning of Sunday on my web project. I kept messing up on simple tasks and forcing myself into a deeper and deeper hole until I created 3 NEW websites to just replace it, then I woke up this morning with a sense of clarity. I dug out the root files I'd made in the beginning and I set to work editing and updating frantically to repair my ruined project which I started the mornign with scraps of the original. I regret having not simply fixed it Friday and turning it all in that same day, but I wasn't able to work much Friday.

On a related yet slightly less linear note, I beleive I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. I'm going to work on getting a brace for it, a new mouse and also I plan to investigate the dvorak typing system because I dont know how I will get through college working like this.

My wrists been hurting for the past 3 weeks I think, mainly in my right hand. I'm going to look into getting a better chair and computer set up.

Having gone through Web Design the way that I did I learned a good deal about time management, goal setting, clarity, procrastination, self motivation, etc. I'd like to write some articles about it over the next few weeks. Well, see.

No comments:

Post a Comment