Sunday, May 3, 2009

The General Idea

OR
What I want to learn and Do During College

I want to get a college education. I want to go on to university and study Electronic Engineering because I want to learn not just how things such as toasters, cell phones and remote controls work and how to make them, but I want to learn more about the art that is Engineering and electronics have always fascinated me. I'm planning to only study things in College that interest me:

So I know that I will try to learn as much "interesting" stuff as possible while in school, then spend the time I save doing some real-world learning.

So, I want to take class that will help me develop a fuller knowledge in:

Web Design and Development -- While in college I'm going to get a Work Skills Certificate in this field as its a bit more "all inclusive" than the simple Tech School Certificate I'm getting now.
Martial Arts -- Judo I and II are offered at my school and I plan to take them both. I think it'll be fun.
Athletics/ Physical Ed -- I want to get a Work Skills certificate in Personal Training also from college.
Small Business Management -- I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur and since college has a Work Skills Certificate program then why not?
Art -- I'm going to take a couple of drawing classes. I've always liked drawing but have never been any good at it.
Foreign Languages -- I plan to take a year of both Spanish and French (i.e. French I & II and Spanish I & II)
Electronic Technology -- I plan to get an A.S. Degree in it.
Paitient Care Assistant -- Okay, so you have to go to Technical School for this, so what? I've wanted to take this class since I was 16, but you had to be atleast 18 and have graduated. Its only 6-8 weeks long but I think it's a great "minor" certification to have so I want it.

I've been saying since last October or so that I would like to take a language class every year that I'm in College and University, in this manner I figured that I'd learn the crude basics in about 7 languages. I planned to start ASAP by taking I and II of French and Spanish while at community college. When I transferred to University I had hoped to study, Mandarin, Arabic, Japanese and then I'd try something like Italian while self learning ASL and Esperanto since no courses for those two languages are offered in my area.

If I play by all the rules, and take 2 years in junior college and 2.5-4 years in University then I'd be 27-28 when I finish my Bachelors in Electronic Engineering. The good thing is that I could learn as many as 6 langauges while in schoole. The bad news is that I dont when I'll die and would much prefer to actively participate in the "real world" as soon as possible.

Going by the "norm" I'd be a little too close to age 30 when I finish school. No thanks.

I think I'd rather try for the same education, working at my own pace and save myself a few (read: at least 4) years, then do something constructive with my time. I've been in self paced, secondary education classes for the past 4 years now and I think I have learned a good deal of what I am capable of.

There are many things I want to learn about, or expand my limited knowledge of, this is my reason for going to college. It is also my reason for not wanting to stay in too long. I dont want to "burn out" or risk losing my drive to go there or learn anything.

I'm in the middle of developing a mock schedule, outline and game plan to tackle the feat.
I'll be updating again soon to share my 1st drafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment