Friday, October 2, 2009

Math Resources!!!

Okay doke people, If I'm going to get into college level math, and actually do well once I'm there then I simply cant afford to take anymore lackluster attempts at refreshing myself in the subject. Its not that I dont want to learn and master math, I do. Despite still suffering from the reminents of the chronic mathophobia I've had since the 3rd grade, I just find textbooks terribly boring. I have a hard time keeping all those fancy math terms straight and so no matter how many times I read and reread the material and do the problems I never feel confident and I usually scrape pass on passing scores, etc.

Another HUGE problem is that I lack the discipline needed to stick to a serious math-regiment for more than a week or two. However, I did manage to get a couple of math resources.

I own an old text book that I love for multiple reasons but the name of this book is:
Basic Arithmetic Skills WorkBook. Its REALLY old, but so thorough! The name is actually pretty deceptive because in this one book you go from basic number concepts and addition to algebra! There is a section on wordproblems, personal finance, etc! Its a really great book with clear and understandable examples. I actually love this book, I've never worked all the way through it, its so old I'm always hesitant to use it too much before I can obtain a secondary copy plus, remember what I said about my never sticking to a math regiment?

I got a book from the school library called The Ultimate Math Refresher. I think this is going to be good but I haven't checked into it very thoroughly...actually, hardly at all, as of yet, but I chose it based on its layout and breezy explanations. If you were competent in math once upon a time, then I think this book will do you a world of good.

My newest discover is KhanAcademy, which is neither an obscure or outdated book but a website and I'm still exploring it but so far I have HIGH hopes. I'm thinking of using it as my primary source for math instruction from Arithmetic to Introductory Calculus, but we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment