Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why Sucky Math Skills CAN be Good for You

Okay, so yesterday was my last day to finish my SPI (Self-Paced Instruction) class about the US Constitution and I had been trying to review for my last test all weekend, I was rather unsuccessful and it was frustrating because it was material I'd studied and at one point felt that I knew well enough to be tested on.

I was reviewing after my morning class, willfully skipping my Psych class in favor of preping for this impending test. Anyway, I'd concluded last night that since I had a "B" average in the class, I must get another "B" to recieve a "B" on my transcript, but I sat down to do the math quickly with pen and paper and I was surprised and absolutely delighted to find that actually, I could get a flat "D" on the 3rd test and still recieve a B in the class.

I checked twice more, becoming more and more excited as I went. (84+88+60=232, 232/3=77. just so you know) Anyway, I was doing it on paper and calculating in my head and I came up with an average of 84. I told myself that it didn't make sense but I checked again and again and even asked a friend to double check my numbers because they were so delightfully shocking. It didn't make since, BUT the numbers added up!

Anyway, after taking some of the stress off myself by realizing all I "needed" for a "B" in the class was a "D" on the test I was able to concentrate on my studies and found that I DID in actuality know the material. I self-quizzed for a little while and then I went to test. I feel really confident about my test score. I think I may have even gotten an "A" thanks to the extra credit.

Anyway, riding home on the bus I used a calculator because the little voice in the back of my head kept insisting I pay more attention when it said that B+B+D/3 = B average.

So I used the calculator and sure enough, earning a flat D on that test would pull my grade down to a C. Even getting a "C-" or "C"on the test would make my course grade a C so I needed at least a C+, but I really do feel that I made a high B or maybe, just maybe, an "A"

Anyway, the moral of the story: Unless you have a math test coming up, sometimes sucky mathskills can be good for you. They can give you the confidence you need to achieve your potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment